.. of R*madhan!
Sometimes I wonder whether I made a mistake in deciding to spend my s*bbatical leave locally. I remember asking my bro#3 for advice and he told me - in spite of my earlier intention of looking for a place in Seoul (near & cheap enough to come back home frequently) - to just stick locally for mak! In order to gain KPI mark for the school, I also have to spend some time outside my institution so I decided to spend the first 5 months internally and go back to my alma mater (just because it is nearby my hometown) for the remaining 4 months (mid-April to mid-August) where I had planned it all nicely, weekly commute (it takes 1:40 to almost 2 hours depending upon traffic & highway conditions) - going on monday mornings and coming back on Friday afternoons, just in time for a visit to the night market, and planning to spend longer time in my hometown during R*amadhan like maybe going on Tuesday and coming back on Thursdays.
Then, I started to get the hints. During drives/conversations with my mak, she was saying things like where she would like to go during R*madhan this year: sis#3's house is ok since she stays home & not working but no shops nearby (mak rides her own bike and loves to buy kuehs or dishes outside); bro#2's house is not yet ready, maybe not even next year, he promises her that he prepared 1 room just for mak! Bro#1's place is not suitable due to no space/room for her (one room downstairs is for the sons) and squatting toilet. Sis#4's house - mak is most comfortable here but nobody is around during the day and she didn't offer even if I told her to invite mak for a visit, she still finds excuses - the siblings know that she had uttered the words - "with mak around, everybody came for visits!" - and that might cramped her busy schedules (NGOs and all). Sis#1 did not offer at all for now and when I explained the situation, she shared her intention in future to renovate the toilet downstairs $$$ and the fact that she and her son is using the only one room downstairs. And sis#5 's place is kind of cramp too with 5 kids, single story house (no where to hide) and only 3 rooms.
During the recent school breaks, my bro#3 told me to plan for a visit to Penang since his daughter is back for summer holiday. I really want to go along with mak, since it will justify not going to Penang during R*amadhan now. Alas, planning went haywire and it was a no go!
Then during one Sunday, I went to my neighbour's place to spend some time with her cats (Alex and co!). We talked and she basically told me that mak really wants to spend R*madan Penang! Important thing is mak just want to spend time outside the house.. and I guess (I take it a compliment) her 1 month experience with me last year is good enough for a repeat! Immediately upon getting back, I told mak about the plan for Penang (until end of June only) and all she said was, "Doesn't it cause you trouble? I told her I already arranged with my supervisor and we'll be back in time for her medical check up (bi-monthly nowadays with specialist) which she responded, " ..can actually call the hospital and reschedule you know.." And I arranged for her to spend another week or so at my sis#3's place so I can commute to Bangi.
So, here I am - back in Penang - home sweet home! I drove last Monday from TJ Seremban, at 8am. Due to heavy traffic in getting into the Seremban Tol (almost 50 minutes just to get there), we reach home around 1:20pm in time for Zuhur prayer. We did stopped by at R&R Bukit Gantang - she loves buying fruits (duku langsat and kacang putih rebus) - for lunch, around 11:35-12:20pm.
Given that the fridge is basically empty and I was in need of cash, I had to do my groceries shopping etc. that late afternoon - after a quick mopping of floor and rest. And bought dinner (RM22 for 3 big prawns - 1 leftover, fried vege and 1 piece of lamb korma) too!
Since she wanted rendang to celebrate the coming of Ramadhan, on Tuesday morning I went to the wet market to buy 2kg of fresh beef (RM56) - I am taking the opportunity to invite along my colleagues and neighbours for lunch/dinner, kind of early replacement for Eid celebration for this year hehehe.. I bought coconut milk, ginger, onion, lemongrass, curry powder and spices, I planned to stir-fry French beans with squids too and that was it! Upon making the preparation, mak said, ".. and there is no kuah!" So, she suggested su'un + pucuk masak lemak. Then, she asked, "Where is the blended chillies?" But-but, you didn't mention it when I was making the list earlier... "You don't even have dried chillies?" Aiyaiyai.. mak, here in my place, you need to assume nothing is available, everything has to be bought before I can cook anything! Off I went to the grocer across the road to buy pucuk & blended chillies.
At the same time, the day before I already arranged for Che' Lan Library to deliver durians - 1,2 special ones for mak and RM20 of normal ones, he said to call him again at 10am. I called, twice and no reply - even to this day.. Lucky I already bought grapes for dessert and I also blended soursop (from R&R) for drink!
On Wednesday, I went to office to attend a whole day workshop as well as checking my letters. During lunch, arranged to meet my student for consultation on further studies (here or another place?) and met the others too. On the way back to office, I happened to come across my immediate boss when I should have tried harder to avoid meeting him for now - long story but I understand his position as my boss for now... For dinner, it was fried kangkung (no go - throw away almost untouched after sahur Day 1, put in fridge) and fried fish with chillies (my sambal not so tasty, I suspected!)
By now, I know mak's current list of dos and don'ts: No to mangoes (heavy coughing), no to karipap (muak), kue teow (lembik, memek2x.. ), and no fried yellow noodle too. Yes to huge & juicy grapes, fried chicken especially K*C.
I stayed home on Thursday supposedly to work but ended doing mostly nothing - started R*madhan, Day 1. Brought mak to R*madhan bazaar (nearby TH) as early as 4:30pm - shouldn't go after 6pm - packed and rubbing shoulders with too many people. She choosen chicken curry (drumstick), fried vege (in egg) - both RM4.50, taufufa RM1.20 x2 (smaller), watermelon, kuih cara manis RM2 for set of 5 (ate only 3 til sahur), must-have cendol RM2 and 1 piece of fried chicken RM3 (more expensive than hometown)! Spent around RM20..
On Friday, I went to wet market again - prawns, veges, 1kg beef for dendeng (RM29 batang pinang) etc. First, I dropped by TNB counter to pay my PBA bills - all 6 months - just to avoid 90 cent agent charges. Headed to office but not doing anything much since internet was slow and everyone is busy marking final exam papers. On the way home, I dropped by the furniture shop (same row as grocer shop) to buy stool (RM45 inclusive of gst) for mak's terawih at mosque. And whole durian RM30 for two! What is for dinner/breakfast day 2? Ayam masak lemak cili api (onion & ginger for the nicer smell) and cannot remember what else.. dendeng (mak don't like much!) was ready only after maghrib. Again, another round of house cleaning in preparation for my bro#3 & family. He drove at 10:30pm and reach my parking around 1:40am. I woke up as usual by 4am to prepare sahur for mak (selection of thick black coffee Hang Tuah, 3-in-1 coffee N*scafe of one with Habbatul Sauda', even cappucino once). Fried chicken drummets and nuggets for the kids (mak loves this too) and reheated rendang. Must-have teh tarik by SIL.
So Saturday was spent lazing around the house, they read the Quran, bro and me (we had secret/silent chat too) had conversation with mak about everyone especially someone hehehe, kids with wifi & sleeping on & off... by 10am, went to the wet market again with SIL - her menu: bihun soto with beef soup (chicken finger, balls and pegedil), daging tetel masak asam pedas, and stir-fried French bean & mushroom - selection of watermelon, mata kucing & dragon fruit/pitaya - no go for iced sugar cane juice - bad for joints. Finally, my buah melaka or onde2 was only ready at sahur but the grated coconut was getting no good - mak said, should have mixed it with salt upon reaching home. I noticed myself are too proud to ask for help or instructions and I specially hate it if people suggest things as if I know nothing.. but turn out I know not everything!
They went back after Subuh on Sunday. By 9:15am, I already in office to meet my PhD supervisee at 10am -lasted until after 11am. What is for iftar Day 4? Fried chicken (marinated for days already), stir-fried cabbage, re-heated asam pedas and take out the chicken curry - and I made, for the first time ever, roti jala (looked more like lempeng hahaha) using just mineral bottle water with holes on the cover - remind myself to buy those pronto. Usually for iftar, I will prepare hot ear grey/apple tea with honey, I did tried lemon and honey but it was no go (blamed for upsetting mak's tummy)! Big no-no for cendol extended to day 2 - mak had diarrhoea on Friday evening.
Ikhlas.. today, I am accepting this golden opportunity to serve mak to the best of my ability - make her as comfy as possible. So, what is for iftar day 5? I plan to fried bihun - Singapore style, fried fish fillet (mak doesn't require much watery dish - I offer her fave ikan singgang) and prawn sambal insya-Allah. Alhamdulillah, thank you Allah for this much that I have now..
No comments:
Post a Comment