Sunday, 7 June 2009

What a small world indeed!

I was away for the past one whole week - to present ONLY one paper (kepoh je yang lebih!) at A Beach Resort with the Largest Pool area in the East Coast hehehe...(but lain2 perkara adalah hampeh - takde bintang langsung kot!)
So I had to give a rather important occasion a miss! That occasion marked the start of my new academic year as a 'teacher'.

Given the availability of free wifi @the conference venue, i took the opportunity to keep in touch with friends on fb (while attending the sessions)...imagine my surprise when a friend told me that somebody was looking for me in campus. Er, actually he first saw me in the students' directory. When finally we managed to get in touch:
"..saja drop by your office (after 14 years tak jumpa). You are NOT one of my teacher right?" *add a nervous laugh here*
Well, thank God - I'm NOT. I'm already nervous enough as it is...to start teaching again, mature students, in Malay some more etc. Now, add to that a familiar face? Kawan sepermainan dulu2? Ewwwwwww.....

BTW, another point worth mentioning is when I started my master programme (a long, long time ago) I was in the same cohort (for Micro class) with my ex-lecturer for one of my first year degree papers. Awkwardness ruled the days....but I felt deeply honoured to be in the same class with her - after all, she's one of the best! Sad to say, somehow she didn't quite manage to complete her DBA due to reasons *better leave unspoken*. I still admire her to this day!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always admire people who can teach, who love imparting knowledge to others so selflessly and make teaching their lifelong passion. All the best wishes in your new academic year.

rad said...

Awwwww...so you admire moi? Hehehe...I do hope I will be abled to fulfill your expectations - selflessly, with zest & passion!
Thanks Andrea.

Anonymous said...

Just so that you know where I am coming from, my dad used to teach Maths and my mom used to teach Linguistics. So yes, you can say that I come from a family of teachers. I would have followed the same route as my Dad, except that an internship at a certain investment bank after I graduated encouraged me to change routes. hee hee!

Syyy....<in-progress>

Alhamdulillah - Glory be to Allah, All Praise is for Allah, There is No God but Allah, Allah is the Greatest! I never thought - especi...