Friday, 19 September 2014

Luncheon Party Hostess I

Here is some notes taken after hosting Raya Luncheon twice - all home-cooked meals by moi!

A. 1st Raya luncheon
1. Time: Supposedly take place during Friday long-lunch hours, 12:30-2:30. So that my female colleagues from 'near & far' can come altogether. For my house-warming in July last year, I invited them for a Saturday, after Maghrib & most of them: a) find it difficult to cross the bridge & b) had other family arrangement with their respective husband.
Supposedly I want to go to work as normal since I planned to pre-cook the meals on the night before as well as in the morning. Alas, situation beyond my control due to...

2. Menu: (based on Chef W*n's 400 best recipes book) I chosed pink/red for the overall theme!
   Main course: Nasi tomato, Ayam masak merah, Acar rampai, Daging dendeng berlado
   Desserts: Bubur pulut hitam + durian, Cream Caramel & watermelon, leftover tapai by mak from
      Eid
   Drinks: Air Bandung + Soda

I went to market at Sardon early that Friday morning to buy 2 whole chicken (cut into 16 pieces each) plus a couple of thigh slices &  added a couple more I already took out from the freezer. I already woke up early to set the table with tableclothes (need to buy more now!), plates etc. already washed from the day before.

The rice was the last dish that I cooked - it went onto the stove (too late to used the rice cooker) at 12 noon! Well, do remember that my guests are supposed to start coming by 12:30! Some of the ingredients was already used-up in the other dishes esp. pureed tomato & spices. I overestimated the capacity of the large rice pot; I put in 12 cups & take out 1 cup later. But still, ended up the top part of the rice undercooked & eventually I had to take out some & steamed separately. So, now I should remember: 10 cups should be just nice for that large pot!

Acar rampai took too much time since I had to thinly sliced (@julienned) all ingredients: Japaneses cucumbers, carrots, red & green chillies, onions & garlics; blended the paste (onions, garlic, turmeric, buah keras). Not to forget, to fry (oil-less) the bijan!

Ayam masak merah - simply took too much of my precious time! 1st, I overfried the chicken - according to my 1st guess, Z*rina, I was supposed to only half-fried the chicken so that it wont be too hard/done when combined with the sauce. And don't forget, given my small wok, I had to fry them in small batches  - such a waste of time!

Dendeng - the beef slices was already cooked, soften & marinated with soy sauce the night before but the preparation was not enough! I still had to prepare/blend the paste as well as fried the beef slices in small batches again!

Cream caramel in individual/ramekin cups: Gosh! Whatever I was thinking?? With my small kitchen & small utensils, cooked in small batches too for about 2 dozens of them.

Extra menu: Spaghetti bologne some more to cook! Just in case they are those who did not want to eat rice.

Z*rina helped to mixed the drinks - not enough ice! Should have done itmuch earlier instead of the night before - no time to go out & buy it.

Lucky I already decided which dish goes into which casserole dish...and her daughter helped to washed the mugs since not enough glasses. An*s helped to cut the watermelon. I almost forgot to arrange the cutleries! And no time at all to mop the floor - even if I already mopped the whole apartment on previous sunday, heavy cooking & walking to&fro between kitchen & the dining area to check on the recipe book - greasy floor! I had time for only a quick change of clothes, not even a shower!

Menu tak-kesampaian: Choc Cheese Cake & Sardine Puff

Selection of kuih raya: I should have known that 2, 3 of the good ones like pineapple tarts are sufficient! And maruku!

3. Invitations:
Based on my original no. of tumbler glasses (only 12) I decided to invite; a) WA group: S*i, Id*h, An*s, S* & Z* + M*m, Z*rina & daughter, ....eventually 30++ plus were invited!
Some responded by saying no - thank you, much appreciated!

There were those who were out-stationed, which I offered to extend until after office hour. But no, they prefer to come in the evening *sigh* which I tried to accommodate. I invited only ladies & daughters since I'm alone in the house, but no - I wanna come with my hubby & kids in the evening too coz he work! I still tried to accommodate by setting time to immediately after maghrib.

Total attendance of 24: Z*rina, E*zzaty, An*s, Nor*sah + 2 daughters, H*sma, W*n who brought keropok Ganu, R*fisah, F*z, S*miyyah & A*nor, N*raida, S*i, hubby & 2 daughters, M*m, F*tan, Z*, hubby & son  - who brought 4 different slices of SR cakes & a small table flower arrangement - awwww.... Not forgetting my downstairs neighbour L*nda & niece - tapau-ed for her mom.

Some time recently (post-Syawal), I met my ex-immediate ladyboss in the ladies. Made small talk & she said, "Sampai hati, masuk rumah tak ajak pun!" She knew about it from listening to others. But, but I already included her in the emailing list! Remember with the heading: Ladies Raya Luncheon? Ooo...I deleted all Re:Ladies without reading! Serve you right then...

BTW, the last guests left about 10++ after I insinuated that I had an early flight tomorrow morning - as early as 5:30 to drive to the airport! To visit my mak who was warded since Wednesday of the week.  But, I loved them anyway hahaha as they really helped to clear the dishes & even pots! And got to tapau most of things like rice & chicken, caramel too!

What a tiring & fulfilling 48 hours! Coz I only washed & cleared the other dishes upon coming back from visiting mak at the following evening.

No comments:

Syyy....<in-progress>

Alhamdulillah - Glory be to Allah, All Praise is for Allah, There is No God but Allah, Allah is the Greatest! I never thought - especi...