Friday, 3 June 2011

Do i need to explain myself?

Have you ever heard of this phrase, "..ibarat penyapu baru, maka kenalah rajin bekerja?" (New broom works harder at sweeping floor?)

How do you feel if you immediate superior (IS) keeps on repeating his/her statement, "..saya dulu, suka sangat bila Head bagi tugasan..? (I like it when my head asked me to do stuff!)

These work assignments are way different from the normal duties i.e. job descriptions like teaching and researching and everything that they entail or in-between.

The Head called some selected newcomers (including moi) for a meeting and assigned us to research & come up with a proposal for something - pure academic document - the sample shown to us contained 150+ pages, excluding the appendices.

I wasn't rejecting the assignment per se but I did raise a few concerns like the fact that each and everyone of us (read: moi!) are swamped with things to do. At the last count, I am involved in 6 committees whereby 2 is almost nonexistence (Thank God!) in terms of what if required from me other than be present in meetings; an ad hoc committee specifically to increase the quality and quantity of our research outputs and these involve activities ranging from motivational talks, writing boot camps (I was in-charged of one last year), supposed to update the board set up as writers' corner too, an internal bulletin, blablabla..; organizing committee members for an international conference in Sept - I was the secretary, help with promotion to the extent of sitting down with the graphic designer to helped him design the poster, deals with the enquiries and papers submission (acknowledgment of receipt, notice of acceptance individually) etc. etc.; a special commemorative book project which was started last year but didn't move at all and I was rope-in reluctantly in April and then stupidly volunteered to do the photo selection with two other members. At same time, I am handling enquiries about graduate student's supervision (two proposals to read); my own research grant application is way overdue; correction for one of the papers from my thesis/conferences (my supervisor - the umbilical cord IS still strongly attached) and need to push it for publication somewhere; AND to top it all they appointed me the chair of this body who look after the overall staff welfare where I need to deal with letters to the big, big boss (got a memo for this - lesson learnt, everything should go through the Head first), to collect members' annual contribution; to invite small businesses which are routinely involved to open their stalls during the orientation week, had to listen to their grouses too about high rent, no customers blablabla.. handle the meetings, bargain for money/stuff, had to speak in public/ in front again & again - arggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Should I be flattered that they (shown raise of hands) elected me when actually someone else did volunteer and earlier on got people to lobby on her behalf? Even the Head is rooting (s/he told me indirectly) for that person instead of me! But somehow she choosed me, instead of her, to be in the committee above? When I tried to withdraw my name from the contest for chairperson by mentioning the fact that I'm busy with the above mentioned stuff, there were people who said behind my back, "..macam la dia sorang je yang busy!" (As if she is the only busy one!) Do I need to explain my schedule to them?

You know what, I honestly didn't want all of the above (maybe some, for my yearly performance appraisal) but since I proved (said a newcomer who is good at avoiding everything; and had the cheek to laugh at me!) to them that I can do the job so now I'm being thoroughly punished for it! ANd just because my English is better than some of them! (Well, it's laughable really..)

After the no hold barred meeting mentioned above, I then had my interviewed for job confirmation in the afternoon - of the same day. One of the panels raised a question, whether somehow by involving in mcuh I may be neglecting or lacking in the things that matter i.e. research & publications? He hitted the right button to me but later the Head (serious face mode) asked whether i might be shirking away from doing all those stuff once I'm confirmed?? Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How many time do I need to explain myself? I do things because I want to do it, I can do it (up to a certain extent) but I don't need people to push their agenda on me! I also don't need heads of committee who incompetent who set no deadline, assign nothing specific but expect miracle to happen & then told me not to worry, no problem blablabla again & again!

And some had the nerve to question my ability? Help me God! I had to deal with members who had no idea of punctuality; ignored emails when they feel like it; letters that need to go for THREE rounds of discussion before being signed (definitely had a twisted understanding of the word delegation of duties since s/he still need to know every nitty-gritty details through emails), some even has the misconception that I have to go to all funerals/any ceremonies?

A.R.G.H.H.!

No comments:

Syyy....<in-progress>

Alhamdulillah - Glory be to Allah, All Praise is for Allah, There is No God but Allah, Allah is the Greatest! I never thought - especi...