Today was an important day for my second eldest sister. She is 47 year old and still single but not for long since today was the day that her future husband came officially to meet the family. According to my other sister (in case you forget, I've 5 sisters AND 5 SILs (including one ex, excluding one other ex who passed away) out of three brothers), everything went smoothly and insyaAllah (God's willing) they will get engaged in two months time and will wed a month after that during Eid. The guy is OK, 56 yo, a widower whose wife passed away 11 years ago, with 4 kids ranging from 37, the eldest, to the youngest daughter of 25 yo. The first two kids are married so he has grandchildren already and thus my sister is going to get an instant big family!
I am really happy for her. But at the same time I'm worried too - for her and for my mom. She is the one who stay with my mom in the hometown. There has been a big row recently which left the two of them not in good/talking term anymore. It's a long & complicated story - give me a big headache even by just listening all about it from far away. In one of the 'drama scenes', she simply left home for a couple of nights after a quarrel with one of my brothers. She blamed mom for taking my brother's side and not listened to her. The thing is, she is really a difficult person to discuss with and often times, I just gave up! Let me give you an example: a long, long time ago when I was doing my master's degree, I stayed in her house (that time in town) and paid her rental. I can't remember the details but we argued over tv channels (no compromise at all) which left me boiling mad and I just went ahead and bought my own (larger) tv in cash (Thank God I had the money!). Er, that wasn't the only time I had issues with her. Back in 1993, when I was working as a factory's production operator aka minah kilang, we had a big row too. And as recent as 2004, when she was already staying in our hometown, we all (mom, sister, me, SIL and bro) went for umrah but she refused to be in the same car with me (when I'm easily the easiest person to be with - I swear the truth!) during the journey to the airport.
The issue now is mom, who is no longer happy staying in her own house in our hometown. I felt really disappointed coz after all that she spent on renovating the house (55K out of 85K from her savings & the balance covered by moi (I could have easily paid downpayment for a new car and an apartment too); another 20K from mom for The Troublesome Gate (yes, gate as in entrance gate) - the one that caused the Big Row as mentioned above), now she is not longer comfortable in her own house, like enjoying her old-age days by having the whole clan gather together from time to time. She can't even open the windows in the living room coz according to my sister, "...the dust will get in!" Arghhhhhhhhh!!! She (the sister, not my mother) sets too many rules!
I hope the best for my sister - I really want her to be happy so that my mom can be happy too. I wish I could take care of her (mom not sister) but there's nothing much that I can do now except pray for the best solutions for everyone. Dunno about the post-wedding arrangement yet. Her wedding anyway not mine...hehe
No comments:
Post a Comment